En Provence Mystery Quilt

Monday, November 30, 2015

Allietare Mystery Part 1, Learning to Sew on my Treadle

Yes it is time for another Bonnie Hunter mystery!  You can link up with us on her site if you want to share!  http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2015/11/mystery-monday-link-up-allietare-part-1.html


I had every intention of doing Bonnie Hunter's mystery this year, what is there not to say to commend it?  It always challenges me, I learn a ton, and I love the camaraderie (even when I dislike the nitpicking and quilt police),...So with all that to commend the mystery why would I add one more layer?  Well, lets start at the beginning.  A couple years ago my husband and I bought an old Franklin Long Shuttle Sewing Machine.  It was love at first sight, however; I had no clue how to use it.  




I initially attempted and failed and then it sat and sat and sat.

This fall I decided to move it to the living room, knowing that if it was visible I would be more apt to open it up and attempt to do something on it.  To learn how to treadle.

This last Sunday, instead of working on clue one I opened up my treadle, oiled it's parts, watched YouTube after YouTube video to learn how to wind the bobbin, how to thread the machine..how to operate the treadle to make it move in the right direction.  I had to clean up some serious screw holes that were oh so gunky. I know it could use another serious clean like I've seen online but that will wait for another day.  

These are the colors I am using from my stash... If I need to buy more I will.  I am not sure that my yellow works-that is definitely the one that I may go out and purchase more of.




At the end of the day I cut a few triangles with my Easy Angle and gave it a go and I LOVE IT!  I have decided that this mystery is going to be my quilt to learn to use the treadle, I hope to even quilt it on it- we will see how that goes.  By the end I hope to be proficient.



And look at this handy dandy seam guide!




This is AWESOME!  My seems have never been so accurate...holy cow.

Alright then,  time for me to try to get caught up...7 down and a whole lot more to go.

12 comments:

  1. It is so awesome to see you using your treadle! I have one but it needs a good cleaning and I need to take the time to watch those YouTube videos as well. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Thanks for sharing and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job getting your treadle going! There is nothing like piecing on a wonderful old machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, beautiful machine!! I put a newer Singer 66 in my treadle, long/shuttle bobbins turn me into the deer in the headlights :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, Great job of mastering your Franklin treadle! The long bobbins are still fascinating to me when I watch them wind. They hold a lot of thread! More than we would think. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those blocks are looking good coming off of your treadle machine!! Those seam guides really are handy tools.

    ReplyDelete
  7. COOL treadle. So far I have resisted the urge to have one. HAHA! Glad you are joining in on the mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your treadle looks awesome! glad you are learning to use it. I bought mine several years ago and it sat in my quilting room as a decoration. Bonnie sewing on her during quilt cam inspired me to have mine serviced to make sure it was in working order and I have sewn on it almost exclusively for the last 3 years.... my first sewing machine Singer model 344 bought in 1978 has been banished to its case! :) I picked up a FW 2 years ago and do my travel sewing with it. I just love these antiques!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They don't make them like they used to, do they? I can't see any of today's sewing machines still working in 100 years.

    Great start to the mystery, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Franklin is a very handsome machine! I just purchased a hand crank for when we lose power in the winter, which is a given. Love it! your units look perfect too. Have fun with your treadle...will you name it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your encouraging comments! I do so love it..haven't decided on a name yet.!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This blog is so nice to me. I will keep on coming here again and again. Visit my link as well.. documentales

    ReplyDelete