En Provence Mystery Quilt

Monday, December 1, 2014

The Grand Illusion Mystery part 1

The Grand Illusion Mystery started last Friday and as all us quilters who love Bonnie Hunter gleefully rubbed out hands together, we received our first clue amidst giggles and much hurrah. If anyone is interested you can still participate in her mystery if you choose, the link is:  http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2014/12/mystery-monday-link-up-part-1.html 

Last year I did Bonnie Hunters Celtic Solstice mystery quilt and learned so much!  I just loved it!  So this year I jumped right in!

Last year I opted to buy fabric for the mystery quilt simply because I did not have those colors available in stash.  This year, same situation, I do not have pinks or turquoise...so instead of buying fabric I went in my stash and came up with this combo:






For this clue we needed to make 280 half square triangles from our turquoise and pinks (in my case, red and blues).  We would have 80 left over after making 100 Broken Dishes Units.  Bonnie Hunter has fantastic instructions for using the Easy Angle Ruler, however; mine just never came out "perfect" enough for me.

I finally utilized this paper piecing template that can be found for free online at:  
http://quiltingandwhatnot.ca/Half-Square-Triangle.html



This saved me heartache!  The units came out almost perfect.


Now this is a Mystery quilt, so I have no idea how these units will play together in the end but it sure was fun playing with them.!


3 comments: